NG Kerk Hopefield< < go back to Services Search
The NG Kerk in Hopefield is definitely worth a visit.
The Hopefield Dutch Reformed Church (Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk) was built in 1879, and is home to one of only 10 Forster and Andrews Organs imported into South Africa. The organ, which was installed in 1911, is still used every Sunday, and can be viewed by appointment.
13 December 1851
The first Parish named "Zouterivier" was established.
The “Kerkbode” reported that the name “Zouterivier” was to be changed to “Hopefield” in honour of Mr. Hope ( Customs official ) and Mr. Field (government Secretary).
Church services were initially held in a grain shed on the farm “Langekuil” where the new town was to rise.
15 January 1854
The fist minister, the Reverend Mr. J.P. Neethling, on completion of his studies in the Netherlands, was appointed.
The new rectory was completed and may still be seen in Tuin street. A beautiful building.
Total cost for the building – £575
1857 / 1858
An earthquake and heavy rains caused structural damage to the grain shed and the rectory.
3 July 1876
Permission was granted to build a new, bigger church.
8 January 1877
The laying of the corner stone of the new church took place.
3 September 1879
The new, completed church as inaugurated.
11 July 1904
The Reverend Mr. Neethling decides to retire after 50 years and 6 months in the service of the Lord. The couple was granted living rights to the rectory.
The new church became too small for the growing congregation and it was decided to enlarge the building. Two side flanks and a tower were built.
New lights and pews (300) were also installed (acetylene gas) the lights consist of a 10 crown column in the centre of church with 5 crown columns for the rest. These lights were later electrified. A new clock for the tower was imported from the Netherland (150)
A bigger organ was also ordered and imported from Hull, England. It is one of 10 such instruments that were to arrive in this country. The instrument was installed in the centre of the church, which meant that the beautiful pulpit had to be shifted to one side.
The reverend Mr. Neethling dies at the age of 88 years. He was buried in the church grounds. In 1940 he was joined by his wife and a monument was erected to his honor.
A church hall was built on the church grounds and inaugurated on 26 February.
Cell: 083 443 4742
Telephone: 022 723 1416
H/v Hoofstraat en Kerkstraat Hopefield 7355 ,
read more >>